We research & explore the coolest ghost towns & historic locations in Ohio!
Allens Corners (Allyn’s Corners) – Hiram Township, Portage County & Troy Township, Geauga County
Location: 41.345379, -81.143172
on Allyn Rd at the intersection of SR 700 (Welshfield Limaville Rd S)
Remnants: old houses & farm buildings in the area
Description: The town was founded by brothers Watson Allyn (1824 – 1903) & Ozias Allyn (1814 – 1883). They donated land for the proposed Clinton Airline Railroad which was graded & had a track bed made for it, but the tracks were never laid. However, it became the location of the C & W Electric Railroad in the late-1800s. There was a school (Hiram Township No. 5) on the west side of SR 700 between Allyn Rd & Winchell Rd on land donated by the Tilden family. Ozias served as the commissioner of Portage County from 1865 – 1868. The family surname is spelled as Allen in some branches. Watson & Ozias were buried with many relatives in Fairview Cemetery 3 miles south of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of SR 82 (Twinsburg Warren Rd) & Ryder Rd.
Breakneck – Franklin Township Location: 41.155641, -81.321510 on Kent Ravenna Rd (SR 59) at the intersection of SR 261 along Breakneck Creek Remnants: none known Description: The town had a grist mill & school & there was a saw mill, wool factory, & ashery about a mile to the east. The Pennsylvania & Ohio Canal ran through town & was used to ship goods & supplies. Residents were buried in Breakneck Cemetery which was originally in the southwest corner of the intersection of Kent Ravenna Rd & Rhodes Rd. It was moved to the northeast corner of Standing Rock Cemetery on N Mantua St (SR 43).
Bright Town – Paris Township Location: 41.153887, -81.007649 on Gilbert Rd between McClintocksburg Rd & McMullen Allen Rd Remnants: none known Description: It was a small farming town in the mid 1800s with no major businesses. All that was left in the 1870s was a stretch of residences including C. Bright & J. Bright.
Cacklers Corners – City Of Streetsboro (formerly Streetsboro Township) & Franklin Township Location: 41.207701, -81.377762 on Seasons Rd at the intersection of Ravenna Rdalong Tinkers Creek Remnants: Cackler Cemetery on private property between the first & second residences on the north side of Cackler Rd west of Seasons Rd, old houses & farms in the area Description: Cacklers Corners was founded by War Of 1812 veteran Christian Cackler Jr. (1791 – 1878) & Theresa (Nighman) Cackler (1791 – 1869) who both moved to Ohio from Pennsylvania with their parents in the first decade of the 1800s. They were married in 1814, the first wedding in Franklin Township, & settled in Streetsboro Township in 1816. Christian & Theresa had 12 children, a large farm, blacksmith shop, & donated land for a school at the northwest corner of Seasons Rd & Ravenna Rd. They were buried with relatives, including their parents & many descendants, in Cackler Cemetery.
Cobbs Corners – Mantua Township Post Office: 1833 – 1850 Location: 41.308674, -81.281174 on Twinsburg Warren Rd (SR 82) at the intersection of Chamberlain Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by Samuel Cobb (1785 – 1852) & Harriet (Sheldon) Cobb (1793 – 1860). They were married in Connecticut in 1820 & moved to Ohio in 1833. Samuel & Harriet had 3 children & a farm of several hundred acres. Their son Henry Cobb (1821 – 1894) helped clear the farm, worked in the post office, & was a school teacher. Samuel & Harriet were buried with relatives in East Lawn (Eastlawn) Cemetery on Mantua Center Rd & Henry was buried with relatives in West Lawn (Westlawn) Cemetery on Twinsburg Warren Rd.
East Davis – Edinburg Township Location: 41.132005, -81.120389 on hiking trails north of Cable Line Rd along the Michael J. Kirwan Reservoir Remnants: none known Description: It was founded by a branch of the Davis family in the county. The town had a school at the northeast corner of the intersection of Cable Line Rd & Rock Spring Rd.
Greenleafs Corners – Charlestown Township Location: 41.191992, -81.109546 on Greenleaf Rd at the intersection of Ravenna Arsenal Rd along Sand Creek Remnants: none known Description: The original proprietors were Israel Greenleaf (1813 – 1985) & Emily (Whitney) Greenleaf (1811 – 1883). They were both born in New York & married there in 1833 before moving to Ohio in 1835. Israel & Emily had 5 children. They were buried with relatives in Charlestown Cemetery on Newton Falls Rd.
Harrisport – Paris Township Location: 41.181445, -81.009815 between McClintocksburg Rd & Holcomb Rd in the woods on the east side of the Mahoning River Remnants: none known Description: Harrisport was name of McClintocksburg prior to 1835. The town moved south when the Old Pennsylvania & Ohio Canal opened around that time.
Hazen – Hiram Township Location: 41.332050, -81.104728 on Norton Rd at the intersection of Mumford Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by John Hazen (1790 – 1846) & Miranda (Mason) Hazen (1794 – 1851) who moved to Ohio from Vermont & were pioneers in Hiram Township. John built a general store in 1820. He was also a deacon & donated land for a Congregational Church in the mid 1830s. They were buried with relatives in Baptist Cemetery in Garrettsville north of Maple Ave.
Hilltown – Brimfield Township Location: 41.073667, -81.328718 on Congress Lake Rd between Old Forge Rd & Saxe Rd Remnants: none known Description: It was a small farming town with a blacksmith shop.
Hutson – Deerfield Township Location: 41.016724, -81.022037 on the Berlin Lake Trail south off of US 224 between Sheffleton Rd & Diver Rd Remnants: none known Description: The proprietors were Harmon Hutson (1827 – 1906) & Charlotte (Vaughn) Hutson (1837 – 1900). Harmon served in the Civil War as a riverboat pilot captain on the Ohio & Mississippi Rivers. After the war they bought a 150 acre farm in Deerfield Township & founded the Hutson Coal Co. when the resource was discovered in the area. It employed residents from the mid 1890s to late 1920s & the coal was shipped on a railroad switch called the A & N. Two of the workers also ran into a mineral water spring which was clean enough to bottle for sale. Harmon & Charlotte had one child who died at the age of 11. They were buried with relatives in Deerfield Cemetery on the north side of US 224 across from Edgewater Blvd.
Julia – Mantua Township, Portage County & Auburn Township, Geauga County
Post Office: 1893 – 1904
Location: 41.347502, -81.223844
on SR 44 (Ravenna Rd) at the intersection of Harner Rd along Black Brook
Remnants: none known
Description: The proprietors were Adelbert D. May (1848 – 1907) & Lillian (Bidlake) May (1848 – 1930). Adelbert was the postmaster & the town had a steam-powered saw mill southeast of the GPS coordinates next to Black Brook. There was 2 local schools, Auburn Township No. 3 a mile north of the intersection on the north side of Bartholomew Rd & Mantua Township No. 2 about a mile south on the east side of SR 44. Adelbert & Lillian were buried with relatives 4 miles southwest of the GPS coordinates in Westlawn Cemetery on the north side of SR 82 (Twinsburg Warren Rd).
Keans – Palmyra & Deerfield Township Location: 41.062279, -81.031760 on Yale Rd at the intersection of McClintocksburg Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by a branch of the Kean (or Keen) family in the county. It sat along the A & N Railroad switch but didn’t have a train station.
Maple Grove – Rootstown Township Location: unknown, was in the southeast section of the township west of Industry Rd Description: It was a farming town & part of an extensive school district system.
Morgans – Ravenna Township Location: 41.169615, -81.271797 on Wall St at the railroad & Portage Hike And Bike Trail crossing between Jones Ave & Cleveland Rd Remnants: none known Description: Its proprietors were D.H. & J.A Morgan who owned a large farm in the mid 1800s. The town sat along the junction of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad & Atlantic & Great Western Railroad.
Parker – Mantua Township Post Office: 1893 – 1905 Location: 41.337225, -81.280825 on Winchell Rd at the intersection of Chamberlain Rd Remnants: old houses & farms in the area Description: The town was founded by Emerson C. Parker (1874 – 1899) who either purchased or inherited a plot of land south of the intersection. Chauncey Winchel (1799 – 1883) & Persis (Parker) Winchel (1805 – 1875) were pioneers of the township & accumulated nearly 1,000 acres. Emerson, Chauncey, & Persis were buried in West Lawn Cemetery on Twinsburg Warren Rd with many ancestors of the massive Winchel (Winchell) & Parker families.
Sample – Franklin Township Location: unknown Description: none found
Stoddards Mills – Brimfield Township Location: 41.125308, -81.325162 on Edison Rd between Meloy Rd & Sherman Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by Levi Stoddard (1771 – 1860) & Patty (Burritt) Stoddard (1768 – 1845) who settled in the township in 1830. Levi built a wool mill & there was also a school on the east side of Edison Rd across from the Stoddard’s house. They were buried with relatives in Restland Cemetery on the west side of SR 43.
Portage County Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources