Arena – Paulding Township
Post Office: 1892 – 1902
Location: 41.135339 -84.631426   
on SR 111 at the intersection of Rd 87 north of Big Run
Remnants: Cooper Haines Cemetery on SR 500 at the intersection of Rd 93, St Paul’s Church & Cemetery at the intersection of Township Hwy 114 & Rd 87
Description: This small farming town had a school & church. Civil War veteran John Cooper (1838 – 1888) & Catherine (Reidel) Cooper (1842 – 1923) were of German descent & met & married in Marion County before moving to Paulding in 1873. They had a nice farm, a few children, & donated the land for the cemetery on SR 500 where they were buried with relatives.

Craneville (Cranesville) – Crane Township
Post Office: 1829 – 1865
Location: 41.211523 -84.685467   
on Rd 192 (C-192) between Town Hwy 63 & the Maumee River
Remnants: Horatio Nelson home & trading post at the GPS coordinates
Description: The town was founded by General Horatio Curtis (1802 – 1874). He named the town after Oliver Crane who was another early settler & also had the township named after him. Horatio built a trading post in 1825, was the first county clerk & recorder, a surveyor, Freemason, & justice of the peace. A wood addition to the brick house & trading post that was built in 1826, & has since been demolished, was reportedly haunted by former residents. Horatio also platted Antwerp in 1841 & was buried there with relatives in Riverside Cemetery on Island St.

Carryall – Caryall Township
Post Office: 1863 – 1874
Location: unknown
Description: none found

Doylestown – Washington Township
Post Office: 1851 – 1851
Location: 41.032267 -84.368985 
on T-199 (Township Hwy T-199) south off of Rd 48 along the former Miami & Erie Canal path on private property
Remnants: none known
Description: It was named after canal boat captain Samuel Doyle Sr. who ran mail from Cincinnati to Toledo & was a pickup point for timber.

Ettiesburg (Etties-Burg) – Brown Township
Location: 41.092474 -84.361258   
on Rd 209  (T-209) at the intersection of SR 613
Remnants: Prairie Chapel & Cemetery north of the intersection at the corner of Rd 209 & Rd 104 (T-104)
Description: The town was platted in 1860 by Samuel Shisler (1793 – 1870) & Mary (Bollinger) Shisler (1794 – 1874) & named after their daughter Arettie. It couldn’t keep up with Oakwood, which had a train station on the Nickel Plate Road.  Although Ettiesburg was never completely abandoned, it lost its status as a town. The Shislers were buried with relatives in Prairie Chapel Cemetery.

Flat Rock (Flat Rock City) – Harrison Township
Location: 41.088737 -84.702196 
on SR 613 between Town Hwy 51 & Rd 94 (C-94)
Remnants: none known
Description: It was founded by War Of 1812 veteran Thomas Wentworth & Rachel (Townsend) Wentworth who were both born in Maine in 1791 & moved to Ohio in the late 1830s. They were the first settlers in the township, had a large family, & Thomas was a county commissioner, judge, & justice of the peace.

Follmer (Folmer) – Blue Creek Township
Post Office: 1882 – 1896
Location: 41.033785 -84.582704   
on Rd 48 (T-48) between US 127 & McDonald Park along the former railroad track bed
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was founded by Andrew Follmer. It had a school & was on the Cincinnati Northern Railroad.

Gilberts Mills – Latty Township
Post Office: 1871 – 1889
Location: 40.997271 -84.476339   
on SR 637 at the intersection of Rd 18 (T-18)
Remnants: Middle Creek Cemetery on the north side of Rd 24 (C-24) between Rd 151 & Middle Creek
Description: Its proprietor Philander Gilbert (1813 – 1887) was born in New York & moved to Ohio in the mid 1860s. He reconstructed a saw & grist mill that was purchased in Franklin County & was a justice of the peace & postmaster. Philander had several children with 3 wives & was buried with relatives in Middle Creek Cemetery.

Giauque (Goodwin) – Brown & Jackson Township
Post Office: 1903 – 1904
Location: 41.092164 -84.457345 
on SR 613 at the intersection of Rd 151 (County Hwy 151)
Remnants: none known
Description: Giauque was originally called Goodwin & had a train station on the Nickel Plate Road. It was renamed by Civil War veteran & lawyer Florien Giauque (1847 – 1921) & Mary (Miller) Giauque (1858 – 1913) who owned the land in the early 1900s. They later moved out of the county & were buried in Spring Grove Cemetery on Spring Grove Ave in Cincinnati.

Hamer – Washington Township
Post Office: 1857 – 1893
Location: 41.003535 -84.346101   
on T-203 (Rd 203) at the intersection of Rd L
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was platted in 1848 along the Miami & Erie Canal & named after Mexican War veteran & congressman General Thomas Hamer (1800 – 1846).

Holcombe (Holcombeville) (Morrison) – Paulding Township
Location: 41.149868 -84.602766 
on Rd 144 (W Gasser Rd) at the intersection of Rd 103 (C-103)
Remnants: none known
Description: It was on the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw Railroad. The propritor & mayor A.B. Holcombe owned a lumber company & barrel hoop shop. Henry Howe traveled through Holcombe in 1886 & noted its existence in his updated version of Historical Collections Of Ohio.

Link – Caryall Township
Post Office: 1890 – 1902
Location: 41.237272 -84.795238 
on Co Hwy 230 at the intersection of Rd 7 (T-7)
Remnants: none known
Description: Link was a small farming & postal town with a school in the late 1800s to early 1900s.

Murat (Hipp’s Lock) (Timberville) – Washington Township
Post Office: 1852 – 1864 & 1868 – 1895
Location: 41.042140 -84.380763 
on Rd 197 (T-197) along the former Miami & Erie Canal path between Co Rd 60 & Rd 48
Remnants: Carlton (Burbage) Cemetery on T-42 (Township Hwy T-42) south of the GPS coordinates between Rd 193 (T-193) & the Little Auglaize River
Description: It was originally called Murat & named after French military leader & politician Joachim Murat. In the 1860s John Hipp (1836 – 1907) & Amelia (Burbage) Hipp (1847 – 1916) built a general store & mill near lock 31 on the canal. The town was called Timberville in the late 1800s & served as a shipping point for local lumber companies. John & Amelia were buried with relatives in Carlton (Burbage) Cemetery.

New Harrison – Carryall Township
Post Office: 1837 – 1841
Location: 41.165906 -84.800652 
on Rd 250 (C-250) between Old US 24 (County Rd 424) & the Maumee River
Remnants: none known
Description: This early settlement along the Indiana border had hopes of getting a canal, but the Wabash & Erie bypassed it & the town disappeared.

Newburg  (Royal Oak) – Brown Township
Post Office: 1864 – 1882
Location: unknown, was along the Miami Extension Canal on the north side of Melrose
Description: It was platted in 1851 by David Shriver & Leonard Kimmel. A guy with the last name Darling put up a sign on an oak tree for his grocery store & post office which read “Royal Oak Grocery”.

Nindeville – Harrison Township
Location: 41.135884 -84.784787 
on SR 111 at the intersection of Rd 11 (C-11) along South Creek
Remnants: none known
Description: In 1902 pike bonds were sold at $1,000 each to raise $45,000 for the Nindeville Pike. The road was constructed but the town never grew at all.

Plumbs Cross Roads (Plumb’s X Road) – Washington Township
Post Office: 1878 – 1892
Location: 41.008746 -84.399614 
on T-32 (Rd 32) at the intersection of C-187 (Rd 187)
Remnants: Fought Cemetery at the end of T-265 between Rd 193 & Dog Creek
Description: The town was founded by Caleb Plumb (1808 – 1890) & Eliza Plumb (1811 – 1871) & named after their grocery store sign that was simply marked with a large x. It also had a school & two churches. Caleb & Eliza were buried with relatives in Fought Cemetery.

Renollet – Emerald Township
Location: 41.245605 -84.496059 
on Town Hwy 139 (Rd 139) where it meets T-236 (Rd 236) at the railroad tracks on the south side of US 24
Remnants: none known
Description: The proprietors were a branch of the Renollet family & descendants of German immigrants Paul Renollet Sr. (1801 – 1875) & Mary (Odon) Renollet (b. 1805). It had store, grain elevator, & a train station on the Wabash Railway. Many of the family members were buried in Renollet Cemetery on private property between T-135 & Town Hwy 139 along Six Mile Creek.

Smiley – Harrison Township
Post Office: 1883 – 1902
Location: 41.077669 -84.794259   
on SR 613 at the intersection of T-5 (Rd 5)
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was founded by Josiah Smiley (1848 – 1934) from Pennsylvania & Martha (Bushong) Smiley (1854 – 1922) who had a large farm & a few children. The town had a train station on the Nickel Plate Road. Josiah & Martha were buried with relatives in Park Cemetery in Fairmount, Indiana.

Sophia – Blue Creek Township
Post Office: 1893 – 1895
Location: 41.018809 -84.707329   
on SR 114 at the intersection of Co Rd 49
Remnants: none known

St. Andrews – Brown Township
Location: 41.104022 -84.427149   
on Town Hwy 108 at the intersection of T-181 (Rd 181)
Remnants: none known
Description: It was platted in 1850 along the Miami Extension Canal by Scottish immigrants & brothers James Mather (b. 1801) & Alexander Mather (1806 – 1876). St. Andrews couldn’t compete with faster growing towns & was abandoned in 1881. The Mather brothers moved to Missouri with relatives.

Sunnyside – Paulding Township
Post Office: 1881 – 1882
Location: 41.149915 -84.631590   
on Rd 87 at the intersection of Gasser Rd (Rd 144)
Remnants: none known
Description: Sunnyside was a small farming town with a school.

Tate’s Landing (Reids) (Sharp’s Lock) – Emerald Township
Post Office: 1857 – 1903
Location: 41.194200 -84.553456   
on SR 111 at the intersection of Rd 115
Remnants: none known
Description: It was on the Wabash & Erie Canal & named after canal worker Lyle Tate (1820 – 1890) who bought up some land around one of the locks. Captain Robert Reid (1827 – 1875) established the post office & the town had a grocery store & several taverns. The bulkhead of Six Mile Reservoir & 3 locks were destroyed by dynamite in 1887 by a group of 200 local men (mostly farmers) known as the “Dynamiters”. They were tired of continuous floods from the reservoir overflowing after the canal shut down & a bill they proposed to fix the problem failed to pass in the state legislature. They also burned down the former lockmaster’s house at Tate’s landing. By the time law enforcement arrived, the damage was already done & the Dynamiters were long gone. The events were called the Reservoir War & the Dynamiters final task was blowing up the town’s last saloon in 1900. None of them were ever captured or had their identities revealed. Lyle Tate was buried with relatives in Live Oak Cemetery on Emerald Rd in Paulding.

Worstville – Paulding Township
Post Office: 1882 – 1904
Location: 41.082764 -84.669739   
on Co Rd 71 at the railroad crossing between SR 613 & Town Hwy
Remnants: old houses & town roads in the area
Description: The proprietors were Mexican War veteran John Worst (1847 – 1920) & Sarah (Long) Worst (1849 – 1920). They spent most of their lives in Sandusky County where John was a teacher, county clerk, & lawyer, & purchased land for a stave (barrel) mill in Paulding County. The town quickly grew with a train station on the New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad. It also had a general store, church, & school. Worstville stretched north across the railroad on the east side of Co Rd 71 & most of what’s left of the town sits south of the tracks. John & Sarah were buried with relatives in Oakwood Cemetery in Freemont, Sandusky County.

1888, Ohio, Atlas, Paulding, Van, Wert, Maps, Ghost, Towns

Paulding County Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources

1892 – Paulding County Atlas

1905 – Paulding County Atlas

1917 – Paulding County Atlas

1922 – Paulding County Atlas

1872 – History Of The Maumee Valley

1905 – History Of The Maumee River Basin

1917 – History Of Northwest Ohio – Vol. 1

1917 – History Of Northwest Ohio – Vol. 2

1917 – History Of Northwest Ohio – Vol. 3