We research & explore the coolest ghost towns & historic locations in Ohio!
Maple Grove – Benton Township Location: 41.589344, -83.202385 on N Lickert – Harder Rd at the intersection of W Duff – Washa Rd along Turtle Creek Remnants: none known Description: Maple Grove had a school on the south side of W Duff – Washa Rd just east of the GPS coordinates in the late-1800s to early-1900s on land donated by the Velliquette (Vellequette) family. The town was a popular gathering place for picnics & special occasions in the 1910s – 1950s. It had a dance hall, baseball field, & a baseball team. “Old time & new time” dances were held on Saturday nights, usually with a local band or orchestra providing the musical entertainment. Alcoholic beverages were either brought from home or purchased in a side room at the dance hall. Harvey A. Base (1910 – 1956) was the popular guy that all the girls wanted to dance with. He married Helen (Berger) Base (1904 – 1994). They had a couple of children & were buried in First Saint Johns Lutheran Cemetery on the north side of Seaman Rd in Oregon, Lucas County. The baseball games were also played on Saturdays during the summer months with Maple Grove competing against teams from other nearby towns.
Middleton – Benton Township Location:41.546080, -83.273024 on the north side of W Elliston East and West Rd between Elliston & Graytown Remnants: none known Description: Middleton was a plat extension of Sheldon on the north side of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway in the late 1800s to early 1900s. It’s unknown if any of the lots ever sold. The plat reverted back to farmland, & maybe never really was anything more than that & an idea on paper.
Sheldon – Benton Township Location: 41.542698 -83.272918 on W Toussaint North Rd betwen the railroad tracks & Toussaint Creek Remnants: Elliston Cemetery at the GPS coordinates Description: Sheldon was platted with around 50 lots along the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway on the south side of the tracks between Elliston & Graytown. As with Middleton, it’s unknown if any of the lots in Sheldon sold. Both towns were first spotted in the 1874 county atlas, made it into the 1900 atlas, but were left out of the 1920s atlas. Elliston Cemetery has since grown north, heading further into space Sheldon once claimed.
Violet (Piccolo) – Danbury Township Post Office: 1881 – 1899 Location: 41.518380, -82.807741 on Church Rd at the intersection of Port Clinton Eastern Rd (County Rd 5) Remnants: St. Paul Lutheran Church & Cemetery on the east side of Church Rd about a 1/2 mile north of the intersection, former school on the south side of Port Clinton Eastern Rd at the intersection of Von Glahn Rd Description: Violet was a farming & railroad town established in the mid-1800s. Saint Paul Lutheran Church, which was also the town’s school in its early days, was built in 1845 & is an impressive sight to see as it proudly stands the test of time. There was also a Methodist church on Von Glahn Rd a 1/2 mile west of the GPS coordinates in the mid-1800s to early-1900s. A nice two-story school was constructed in 1898 on the south side of Port Clinton Eastern Rd on land donated by the Behrman family. It currently houses the Danbury Township Zoning Department. The post office was called Piccolo & was used as the town’s name on most maps after it opened. Someone by the name of S. Chapman was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by Ferdinand Bredehoft (1869 – 1918) who was buried with relatives & many other former residents in St. Pauls Cemetery. The Lakeside & Marblehead Railroad was the first to arrive in the area. Its former path can be spotted on satellite maps just south of the GPS coordinates. Another railroad line was just north of the GPS coordinates. The tracks are long gone, but some of its bed is still intact east of Church Rd.