Copes Mills – Brush Creek Township
Post Office: 1833 – 1860
Location: 40.573459, -80.757655
on Monroeville Irondale Rd at the intersection of Township Hwy 300
Remnants: Chestnut Grove Church & Cemetery in the southeast lot of the intersection
Description: The town was founded by Scottish immigrant Martin Adams (1778 – 1864) who was the first permanent settler in Brush Creek Township. He served as justice of the peace, owned a distillery & a horse-powered grist mill, & donated the land for Chestnut Grove Methodist Church & Cemetery. Its original church was a stone structure with construction beginning in 1838. Unfortunately, the mason passed away when the walls were only half done. The walls & roof were finished the following year, but construction wasn’t finally completed until 1847. The stone church was used until 1898 when it was replaced with the present wood frame building. The town’s first school was a log structure built in 1814. It was replaced by a frame building on the Clark farm in the mid-1800s west of the GPS coordinates in the southwest corner of the intersection of Monroeville Irondale Rd & Township Hwy 62. The frame school was later replaced by a brick structure (Brush Creek Township No. 2). Martin Adams sold a portion of his farm to Eli Cope (1811 – 1880). Eli’s brother Henry Cope (1797 – 1875) was the first postmaster. Another brother, Caleb Cope (1806 – 1869), was the second postmaster. Martin served as the town’s last postmaster. He was a lifelong bachelor & was buried with residents, including Eli & some of his relatives, in Chestnut Grove Cemetery. The church at Chestnut Grove is still standing but appears to have been abandoned for several decades. Henry was buried with relatives in Spring Hill Cemetery on Co Hwy 418 (10th St Exn) in Wellsville in Columbiana County. Caleb moved to Columbiana County & was buried there with relatives in Grove Hill Cemetery on Cemetery Rd in Hanoverton.
Daysville – Wayne Township
Location: 40.334321, -80.838656
on County Rd 22A between Beacon Ridge Rd & Unionport Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: The proprietors were Cyrus Day (1795 – 1860) & Mary (Long) Day (1796 – 1886) who owned a large farm on the north side of the GPS coordinates. They were both born in Pennsylvania, got married in Jefferson County in 1816, & had 12 children. Daysville had a school on County Rd 22A west of the GPS coordinates. It lost the town competition to Bloomingdale (formerly Bloomfield) prior to publication of the 1856 county map & fizzled out around that time. Cyrus & Mary were buried with relatives & other residents of Daysville in Bloomingdale Cemetery 1 & 1/2 miles east of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of High St & Fernwood Bloomingdale Rd.
Dogtown – Cross Creek Township
Location: 40.325624, -80.743136
on the north side of Fernwood Bloomingdale Rd at the intersection of Dawson Rd
Remnants: Saint James Episcopal Cemetery on the north side of Fernwood Bloomingdale Rd 1 mile southwest of the GPS coordinates
Description: Dogtown wasn’t mentioned in any of the county history books, but it had a blacksmith shop & wagon shop listed near the GPS coordinates on the 1856 county map & a church at Saint James Cemetery. Some residents, including members of the Armstrong & Underwood families who lived in town, were laid to rest in Saint James Cemetery.
Elliottsville – Knox Township
Post Office: 1833 – 1874
Location: 40.486396, -80.608231
Description: on Co Hwy 7f along the Ohio River between John F. Kennedy Hwy (Co Hwy 47) & SR 152 (Stewart St)
Remnants: none known
Description: It was on the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad & had a general store, tavern, & a blacksmith shop. James W. Elliott was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by John C. Elliott who was the last postmaster. Although Elliottsville was listed on an 1898 railroad map, the town didn’t last much longer than that.
Fells – Cross Creek & Wells Township
Post Office: 1902 – 1907
Location: 40.291180, -80.718135
Remnants: none known
Description: The proprietors were Albert N. Fell (1852 – 1940) & Melissa (McDevitt) Fell (1853 – 1949). They got married in 1882, had 3 children, & Albert was the town’s postmaster. Albert & Melissa were buried with dozens of relatives in New Alexandria Cemetery a few miles east of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of SR 151 (New Alexandria Rd) & Chappel Hill Rd.
Florencedale – Smithfield Township
Post Office: 1904 – 1912
Description: Florencedale was on the Lake Erie, Alliance, & Wheeling Railroad northwest of Piney Fork. It had a coal mine called Florence operated by the Witch Hazel Coal Company. Daniel Rensi (1873 – 1953) was the postmaster. He was buried with relatives in Mount Calvary Cemetery on Mt Calvary Ln in Steubenville.
Hayti (McIntyre Settlement) – Wayne Township
Location: 40.305583, -80.780871
on McIntyre Rd between Township Hwy 177 & Smithfield Station – Weems Rd (Co Rd 25)
Remnants McIntyre African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery & Shaffer Chapel AME Church at the GPS coordinates
Description: Hayti was founded by a group of slaves freed by Nathaniel Benford from Charles City County, Virginia in 1829. It was also known as the McIntyre Settlement for being along McIntyre Creek. The town comprised of a 260 acre farm paid for by Nathaniel & purchased by Robert Ladd from Thomas Mansfield. It had a Methodist church established in 1845, a Baptist church established in 1870, & a school. The farm was divided up between the descendants of the freed slaves as they reached adulthood, with each receiving anywhere from 5 to 15 acres.
Kelleys (Kellys) – Springfield Township
Description: Kelleys was on the Lake Erie, Alliance, & Wheeling Railroad & had coal mines owned by the Kelley family. It was northwest of Bergholz in Springfield Township along SR 524.
Mooretown (Pravo) – Ross Township
Post Office: 1823 – 1892 & 1892 – 1907
Location: 40.519079, -80.832755
on Bergholz New Somerset Rd (Co Hwy 53) at the intersection of State Park Mooretown Rd at the confluence of Ralson Run & Yellow Creek
Remnants: Mooretown Methodist Episcopal Cemetery on the south side of Bergholz New Somerset Rd about a 1/2 mile west of the GPS coordinates, Yellow Creek Cemetery on the south side of Bergholz New Somerset Rd about 3/4 of a mile west of the GPS coordinates, historical marker at Yellow Creek Cemetery, old houses & farm buildings in the area
Description: Mooreown had a saw mill, grist mill, general store, blacksmith shop, a Methodist church at Mooretown Cemetery, & a Presbyterian Church at Yellow Creek Cemetery. The original proprietors were War Of 1812 veteran Mordecai Moore (1782 – 1851) & Mary (Laughlin) Moore (1781 – 1828) from Fayette County, Pennsylvania. They moved to Ross Township in 1815 & had 7 children. Moredecai greatly improved salt manufacturing on Yellow Creek & founded Moore’s Salt Works. He served a term in the state legislature & several terms as county commissioner. Thomas George (1780 – 1868) from Pennsylvania was the first postmaster. He married Jane (Hunter) George in 1800. They were the first permanent settlers in Ross Township, had 10 children, & planted the first apple orchard in the township. Thomas also served in the state legislature, was an associate judge, & an avid abolitionist. The George family hid many escaped slaves along their way to hopeful freedom in their house on the “Underground Railroad”. John E. George (1865 – 1948), a great-grandson of Thomas & Jane, was the last postmaster of the office that was called Moore’s Salt Works. The office’s & town name changed to Pravo in 1892. Edward W. Goodlin (1870 – 1920) was the last known postmaster of the Pravo office. He later moved to Cuyahoga County & was buried with relatives in Brooklyn Heights Cemetery on Broadview Rd in Cleveland. Everyone else mentioned in this listing was laid to rest in Yellow Creek Cemetery.
Onslow – Cross Creek Township
Description: Onslow was on the Pan Handle Route (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad) about halfway between Fernwood & Gould in the late 1800s.
Rhodesdale – Wells Township
Post Office: 1905 – 1929
Description: It was along Plum Run in Wells Township.
Steubenville, OH (1797 – present fort, mill, & railroad town with lots of history)
Classification: historic town
Location: City of Steubenville, Jefferson County – On US 22
Steubenville is located along the Ohio River and is nicknamed the City Of Murals. It acquired the nickname because of the 22 murals around town. Steubenville was platted in 1797 by Bezaleel Wells & James Ross. They named it after Fort Steuben, which is a one of many local attractions to visit. The town’s post office opened in 1802, the year before the state was formed. It also had 10 different railroad stations, none of which exist today. There were 15 schools, 9 that have been demolished, one lost to a fire, & 5 are closed and abandoned.
The population of Steubenville has declined steadily since the 1940s. According to the 2010 census there was 18,659 residents. It’s also the birthplace and hometown of famed actor Dean Martin. On top of the murals, Steubenville has 17 old churches, 7 historical markers, the first federal land office, a Bicentennial bell, historical Belleview Park, & the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge.
Thanks to Denise Smith from Cincinnati for the listing info!