We research and explore the coolest ghost towns and historic locations in Ohio!
Ackley Corners – Gorham Township (formerly Mill Creek Township, Williams County) Location: 41.680708, -84.330302 on US 127 (Meridian Rd) at the intersection of Township Rd S Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by Calvin Ackley (1815 – 1906) from New York and Gertrude (Walker) Ackley (1817 – 1854) from New Jersey. They were married in 1837 and made the trip to Ohio that same year, originally settling in Fairfield County and moved to Fulton in 1840. Calvin and Gertrude had a few children and a 150-acre farm. Calvin was a farmer, postmaster, justice of the peace, school board member, and a land agent for the Greenland Company which held deeds for several thousand acres in the area. The town also had a school and a steam-powered saw mill. Calvin remarried a few times after Gertrude passed away. They were buried with relatives in Pleasant View Union Cemetery on Maple St in Fayette.
Allston – Franklin Township Post Office: 1854 – 1859 Location: unknown Description: none found
Ambrose – Franklin Township Post Office – 1890 – 1901 Location: unknown Description: none found
Batdorf – York Township (formerly in Lucas County) Post Office: 1888 – 1901 Location:41.544286, -84.076307 on County Rd E at the intersection of Co Rd 11 Remnants: Zion United Methodist Church and Cemetery south of the GPS coordinates on Co Rd 11 Description: The proprietors were John Batdorf (1816 – 1895) from Pennsylvania and Elizabeth (Morgan) Batdorf (1819 – 1896) from Virginia. They lived in Wayne County for a few years before moving to Fulton County in 1842, had a large family, and donated land for a school. John and Elizabeth were buried with relatives in Zion Cemetery.
Beta – York Township (formerly in Henry County) Post Office: 1857 – 1901 Location: 41.501245, -84.008754 on SR 109 at the intersection of Township Rd B Remnants: none known Description: It was founded by Alfred Gunn (1820 – 1881) and Emiline (Shaw) Gunn (1817 – 1864) who were both born in Massachusetts and moved to Ohio with their parents. They had several children and a 320-acre farm. Alfred was also the postmaster, county commissioner, and justice of the peace. He remarried after Emaline passed away and had a few more children with Jane (Kempton) Gunn (1835 – 1909). The Gunns were buried with relatives in Raker Cemetery at the corner of County Rd 6-1 and Township Rd D in Swan Township.
Blanc – Franklin Township Post Office: 1847 – 1865 Location: 41.622499, -84.342770 on County Rd L at the intersection of Township Rd 25 Remnants: none known Description: This small farming town was never platted. Reuben Mason was the postmaster for 11 years and Jabez Jones ran the office out of his house after that.
Chesterfield – Chesterfield Township Post Office: 1837 – 1869 Location: 41.668511, -84.171804 on US 20 at the intersection of County Rd 16 Remnants: Butler Cemetery on the west side of County Rd 16 south of the intersection Description: It was founded in 1835 by Alfred Hough (1809 – 1888) who held many local elected offices. He was buried in Wauseon Union Cemetery on W Elm St in Wauseon. Harlow (1798 – 1881) and Mary Butler donated land for the cemetery where they were buried with relatives.
Cottrells Corners (Handy) (Gorham) – Gorham Township (formerly Mill Creek Township, Williams County) Post Office: 1837 – 1873 Location: 41.674379, -84.288374 on US 20 at the intersection of Township Rd 22 Remnants: none known Description: Cottrells Corners was founded by Gorham Cottrell Sr. (1780 – 1853) and Althea (Whitmarsh) Cottrell (1787 – 1867) who moved to Ohio from Massachusetts and had 7 children. They were the first settlers in the township, which was named after the family patriarch, and ran a successful farm. The town also had a school and a church. Gorham and Althea were buried with relatives in Pleasant View Union Cemetery on Maple St in Fayette.
Emery (Chatfields Corners) – Dover Township Post Office: 1846 – 1903 Location: 41.630490, -84.189954 on Co Rd L at the intersection of Township Rd 17 Remnants: former one-room schoolhouse on the north side of Co Rd L on private property east of the GPS coordinates Description: The original proprietors were Lucius Chatfield (1807 – 1884) from Connecticut and Malinda (Rose) Chatfield (1807 – 1896) who met and married in Ohio and had a few children. They were buried with relatives in Ottokee Cemetery on Co Rd J between SR 108 and Township Rd 14. Eben French also lived in the area and made the first brick, tile, and pottery oven in the county.
Fluharts Corners – York and Clinton Township Location: 41.573416, -84.114934 on US Hwy 20A at the intersection of Co Rd 13 Remnants: Fluhart Cemetery on the east side of Co Rd 13 north of the intersection Description: It was founded by Henry Fluhart in the early to mid-1800s. He passed away in Missouri but has some relatives buried in the cemetery.
Haller – York Township Location:41.561440, -84.056891 on Township Rd 10 between US Hwy 20A and Co Rd F Remnants: Swan Creek Church Of The Brethren on Township Rd 10 at the intersection of Co Rd F, Berkebile Cemetery on the west side of Township Rd 10 between Co Rd F and County Rd E Description: Haller was on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway and had a saw mill and tile works.
Lavona – York Township Post Office: 1850 – 1864 Location: unknown Description: none found
Lena – Clinton Township Post Office: 1852 – 1866 and 1875 – 1876 Location:41.514925, -84.172955 on Township Rd 16 at the intersection of Co Rd C Remnants: Lena Cemetery on the east side of Township Rd 16 north of the intersection Description: This small farming town had a school and steam-powered grist mill.
Leslie – Amboy Township Post Office: 1892 – 1898 Location:41.685927, -83.951816 on County Rd 4-3 at the intersection of County Rd S along Tenmile Creek Remnants: none known Description: none found
Mill Creek – Gorham Township Post Office: 1849 – 1863 Location: unknown, was in the southwest section of the township Description: none found
Parchers Corners – Pike Township Post Office: 1844 – 1857 Location:41.603079, -84.023144 on County Rd 8-1 at the intersection of Co Rd J Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by Lyman Parcher who ran the first post office in the township. It also had a school.
Pelton – Swan Creek Township Post Office: 1889 – 1901 Location: 41.509838, -83.941388 on Township Rd 4 along Blue Creek between County Rd B and Township Rd C Remnants: none known Description: Pelton had a school and a general store that was built by the town founder Henry Remer Pelton (1858 – 1937).
Plattston – York Township Post Office: 1887 – 1901 Location:41.530024 -84.032729 on County Rd D at the railroad crossing between SR 109 and Township Rd 9 Remnants: none known Description: It had a general store, blacksmith shop, and a school in the late 1800s to early 1900s.
Ritters (Ritters Station) – Gorham Township Post Office: 1874 – 1912 Location: 41.702828, -84.269947 on Township Rd 21 (Ritter – Lauber Rd) along Iron Creek between Township Rd T and the Michigan border Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by Jacob Ritter (1824 – 1904) from Pennsylvania and Carloline (Hicker) Ritter (1827 – 1907) from New York. They had a few children and donated land for a train station on the Canada Southern Railway. Jacob was a carpenter, railroad tie inspector, train ticket agent, the town postmaster, and built a grocery store. Jacob and Caroline were buried with relatives in Oak Grove Cemetery on the west side of North St (SR 156) in Morenci, MI.
Siney – Fulton, Amboy, Pike, and Royalton Township Post Office: 1884 – 1901 Location:41.656488, -83.996638 on County Rd N at the intersection of Co Rd 7 Remnants: none known Description: Siney had a general store and post office run by Chapman Smith, a steam-powered saw mill nearby in Pike Township, and a Methodist Church on the Roayalton and Amboy Township border.
Townline – Amboy and Royalton Township Location:41.709773, -83.998556 on Co Rd 7 at the intersection of SR 120 along Little Bear Creek Remnants: none known Description: It’s original log Methodist church was on the Royalton side and a frame structure was built in 1867 on the Amboy side. A cheese factory owned by James Santee (1834 – 1904) and Calista Santee (1837 – 1905) was the biggest business in town. They were buried with relatives in Lyons Cemetery on SR 120 (W Morenci St) in Lyons.
Thelma – Gorham Township Post Office: 1897 – 1901 Location: 41.641935, -84.248514 on Township Rd MN at the southern jog of Co Rd 20 Remnants: old houses and farm buildings in the area Description: The post office didn’t last long but it was a busy farming village in the late 1800s with a steam-powered saw mill and a school.
Treadway (Tredway) – Amboy Township, Fulton County and Richfield Township, Lucas County
Location: 41.712161, -83.880181
on Fulton – Lucas Rd at the 4-way intersection of Sylvania – Metamora Rd and Co Rd U along Tenmile Creek
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was founded by the Reuben Tredway (1803 – 1886) from Jefferson County, New York and Nancy (Smith) Tredway (1800 – 1885) from Rutland County, Vermont. The married in 1825 in New York, had 9 children, and owned a 90-acre farm in the southwest lot of the intersection. Garret Vrooman (1818 – 1899) and Salley (Tredway) Vrooman (1826 – 1897) owned a cooper shop on a 97-acre farm on the east side of the Tredway homestead. There was a school in the northwest corner of the intersection on the Fulton County side in the late 1800s and another one a mile east of the GPS coordinates in the northwest corner of the intersection of Sylvania – Metamora Rd and Lathrop Rd. Most of the Tredway family was laid to rest in Amboy Township Cemetery 3 1/2 miles southwest of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of SR 64 and County Rd S in Fulton County.
West Barre – York and Clinton Township Post Office: 1851 – 1872 Location: 41.515360, -84.114861 on Township Rd C at the 5 way intersection with Co Rd 13 Remnants: West Barre Cemetery on private property in the northeast lot of the intersection Description: It was named after a tombstone company that was based in Barre, Vermont and had a distributing facility in the area. The town also had two churches, a general store, steam-powered saw mill, blacksmith shop, grange hall, ashery, and a school.
Fulton County, Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources