We research & explore the coolest ghost towns & historic locations in Ohio!
Arrowsmiths – Farmer Township Post Office: 1843 – 1866 Location:41.350111, -84.671121 on SR 2 at the intersection with Ensign Rd Description: Lost Creek Cemetery on SR 2 north of the GPS Coordinates, former school across the street from the cemetery at the intersection of Dalrymple Rd Description: The town was founded by Miller Arrowsmith (1808 – 1893) & Celinda (Caraway) Arrowsmith (1813 – 1849) who bought a farm at Lost Creek & had a couple of children. Miller built a mill, operated the post office & was a county surveyor. The Arrowsmiths were buried in Lost Creek Cemetery. The old school is now a private residence.
Ashwood – Defiance & Delaware Township Post Office: 1879 – 1880 Location:41.255882, -84.457169 on Ashwood Rd around the railroad tracks betweenDefiance Paulding County Line Rd & US 24 Remnants: none known Descripton: The proprietors were the Harmening family. It was a farming town with a train station on the Wabash Railway.
Cicero (Cicero Corners) – Milford & Hicksville Township Post Office: 1852 – 1901 Location: 41.339494, -84.709400 on Cicero Rd at the intersection with Huber Rd along North Fork Gordon Creek Remnants: Six Corners Cemetery on the south side of SR 2 between Cicero Rd & Lake Rd Description: Cicero had a few small businesses but was mostly a farming town.
Clarksville – Milford Township Location: 41.422272, -84.768013 on Williams Defiance County Line Rd at the intersection of Hicksville Edgerton Rd Remnants: none known Description: It was platted in 1836 by Elisha Clark. During the heyday it had two stores, two taverns, & two doctors.
Domersville – Adams Township Post Office: 1892 – 1899 Location:41.384157, -84.324051 on Domersville Rd at the intersection of Coressel Rd Remnants: Domersville Cemetery south of the GPS coordinates on the west side of Domersville Rd between Coressel Rd & Mekus Rd, former school next to cemetery. Description: It was founded by Joshua Domer (1842 – 1915 & Mary Elizabeth (Sullivan) Domer (1848 – 1918). They were buried with relatives in Poplar Ridge Cemetery on Adams Ridge Rd.
Glenburg – Washington & Tiffin Township Post Office: 1893 – 1905 Location:41.425050, -84.459115 on Glenburg Rd between Defiance Williams County Line Rd & Scott Rd Remnants: old houses & farms in the area Description: It was another small farming & postal town.
Lawtonville – Milford Township Location: 41.368106, -84.786347 on Casebeer Miller Rd at the intersection with Seevers Rd Remnants: none known Description: It was founded by the Lawton family in the area.
McCauleys – Tiffin Township Post Office: 1860 – 1864 Location: 41.369719, -84.419019 on Evansport Rd at the intersection of Kammeyer Rd Remnants: McCauley Cemetery at the intersection Description: The town founders were Phillip McCauley (1823 – 1892) & Mary (Wissler) McCauley (1819 – 1899) who moved to Ohio from Pennsylvania. They had 6 children & a 160 acre farm. Phillip was also a school director, justice of the peace, & township trustee. They were buried in the cemetery with relatives.
Midway – Richland Township Location: 41.275048, -84.266056 on Harris Rd at the railroad crossing between SR 281 & Standley Rd Remnants: old houses & farms in the area Description: Midway sat on the B & O Railroad.
Millport – Milford Township Location: unknown, was in the northwestern portion of the township along the Saint Joseph River Description: none found
Milo – Milford Township Post Office: 1851 – 1884 Location: 41.382755, -84.726255 on SR 249 between Lake Rd & Cicero Rd Remnants: none known Description: The founders were township pioneers George Chapman (1802 – 1870) & Marcissa (Hopkins) Chapman (1802 – 1870). They were buried with relatives in Farmer Cemetery on Cemetery Rd in Farmer Township.
Nebo – Mark Township Post Office: 1890 – 1904 Location:41.267012, -84.669177 on Jericho Rd along Gordon Creek at the intersection with Breininger Rd Remnants: former one room schoolhouse in the lot at the northwest corner of the intersection, Spindler Cemetery on the west side of Breininger Rd south of the GPS coordinates Description: Nebo was founded & named by Civil War veteran George Spealman (1834 – 1915) who operated a general store & ran the post office. The town also had a saw mill, cider mill, & a school. George was buried in Spindler Cemetery.
Oakland – Adams Township Location: unknown, was in the southeast corner of the township in section 36 Description: none found
Snooksville – Delaware Township Post Office: 1851 – 1861 Location: 41.283909, -84.515686 on The Bend Rd at the intersection of Main St & stretched to the other side of the Maumee River Remnants: Blue Cemetery on the west side of the end of Jacobs Trail Rd toward the river, Saint Stephens Catholic cemetery on the east side of The Bend Rd south of the railroad tracks Description: The town was founded by the Snook family in the area.
Whites Mills – Delaware Township Post Office: 1875 – 1876 Location:41.275372, -84.460155 on County Rd 424 between Ashwood Rd & Tittle Rd Remnants: none known Description: This mill & business town sat on the B & O Railroad. It had a hotel, two saw mills, & a large frame school.
Wilseyville – Farmer Township Post Office: 1865 – 1883 Location: 41.354244, -84.669194 on SR 2 at the intersection of Blosser Rd Remnants: Lost Creek Cemetery at the GPS coordinates Description: John Derrick Wilsey (1828 – 1870) built a boat oar factory on the north side of Miller Arrowsmith’s farm & opened a post office. Workers lived in scattered houses around the area. John was born in New York, got married in Pennsylvania before going to Ohio & ended up in Minnesota.
Defiance County Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources