We research & explore the coolest ghost towns & historic locations in Ohio!
Allentown – Green Township
Location: 39.831938, -83.857700
on W Jackson Rd between US 68 (Springfield Xenia Rd) & Tanyard Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was founded by Aaron Allen Sr. (1790 – 1846) from Union County, New Jersey & Phoebe (Hirst) Allen (1795 – 1854). They got married in 1815, had 5 children, & settled in Green Township in 1832. Aaron was a machinist, & prior to the family’s arrival in Clark County, he worked as a foreman in Pittsburgh helping build the first steamboat that sailed down the Ohio River to Cincinnati. Aaron made that historic journey with the boat as its engineer. In the mid-1830s, Aaron constructed the a steam-powered saw mill at Allentown, the first one in Ohio north of Cincinnati. The mill was destroyed by a fire in 1852. Allentown had about 15 residences at the GPS coordinates & a school on the north side of W Jackson Rd where it turns south toward Tanyard Rd. It was mentioned in the 1908 20th Century History Of Springfield And Clark County, but was deemed to be in “considerable decay” at that time. Aaron & Phoebe Allen were buried with relatives 2 miles northwest of the GPS coordinates in Ebenezer Cemetery on the west side of US 68.
Brooks (Brooks Station) – Harmony Township
Location: 39.900234, -83.676514
on Newlove Rd at the railroad crossing between London Plattsburg Rd & Fletcher Chapel Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: The proprietors were Andrew Nathan Brooks (1835 – 1904) & Mary Ann (Foreman) Brooks (1837 – 1886). They married in 1855, had 7 children, & owned a 140 acre farm on in the southeast lot of the GPS coordinates where they made a good living in the cattle & grain industries. A grain elevator in the northwest corner of the Brooks fed cars on the Springfield & Columbus Railroad, later bought by the Big Four (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad). There was also a town hall on the west side of Newlove Rd across from the elevator. Andrew & Mary Ann were buried with many relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery And Arboretum about 10 & 1/2 miles west of town on McCreight Ave in Springfield.
Brottensburgh (Snyder’s Station) (Enon Station) – Mad River Township
Post Office: 1837 – 1838
Location: 39.890362, -83.935652
on Enon Rd between I-70 & SR 4 along Mad River
Description: Brothers James Leffel (1799 – 1887) & John Leffel built a grist mill in 1818 next to Mad River. The town of Brottensburgh formed nearby, about 3/4 of a mile from present-day Enon. It was mostly comprised of the mill workers & others in various jobs related to the industry, & the majority of the houses were log cabins. Brottensburgh had a dry goods store, a grocery store, & the first post office in the township. Enon was platted in 1838 & the postmaster of Brottensburgh, John R. Miller (1793 – 1855) moved his store & post office there the same year. He was buried with relatives & other early local residents in Enon Knob Prairie Cemetery about a mile southeast of the GPS coordinates north of the eastern end of Speedway Dr. The mill at Brottensburgh was sold several times & was improved with a large brick distillery. However, Brottensburgh couldn’t compete with the rapid growth of Enon & gradually faded out of existence in the mid-1800s. The mill site was purchased by Henry Snyder Sr. (1783 – 1869) from Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, who turned the town into Snyder’s Station with a train station on the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad. 2 of his sons, John Snyder (1810 – 1896) & David Line Snyder (1816 – 1898) subsequently ran the mill site under the name of Enon Mills. The town was listed as Enon Station in the 1870 county atlas & was on the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad. In the 1894 county atlas, it was on the Big Four Railroad & New York, Pennsylvania, & Ohio Railroad. The train stations were still called Snyder & there was one on both railroads. The Leffel brothers & Snyder family were buried with relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery And Arboretum on McCreight Ave in Springfield.
Description: Chribbs Station was the first settlement in the county & was founded along the Mad River in 1796. Prior to the railroad era, the term “station”, when connected to a town name, usually implied the location was fortified in some way.
Funderburg – Bethel Township
Location: 39.931248, -83.997315
on Milton Carlisle Rd at the intersection of Funderburg Rd
Remnants: Funderburg Cemetery on the north side of Milton Carlisle Rd about 1/4 mile northwest of the GPS Coordinates
Description: It was a farming & livestock raising town founded by Daniel Funderburg (1811 – 1882) & Diana (Keplinger) Funderburg (1812 – 1862). They married in 1835 & had a few children. After Diana passed away, Daniel married one of her sisters, Salome (Keplinger) Funderburg (1816 – 1874). That may seem a bit strange these day, but it wasn’t an uncommon occurrence back then & we have run across the same situation in a few other places. Daniel remarried again after Salome passed away, with Rebecca (Renner) Funderburg (1825 – 1894). The cemetery was established in the early 1800s by the Heck family. It’s well-maintained with a nice split log fence. Everyone mentioned in this listing was buried there except for Rebecca, who was laid to rest in Medway Cemetery about 5 miles southwest of the GPS coordinates on the south side of Lower Valley Pike.
Hennessee (Hennessy) (Hennessey) – Mad River Township
Location: 39.831109, -83.877049
on W Jackson Rd at the former railroad crossing between US 68 (Springfield Xenia Pike) & S Tecumseh Rd
Remnants: former railroad path currently part of the Little Miami Scenic Trail
Description: The town was founded shortly after the Little Miami Railroad was built through the area in the mid-1840s. It wasn’t much more than a small cluster of houses, but also had a train station. The tracks were later bought by the Pennsylvania Railroad & the former path is currently a paved recreation trail. Hennnessee fell into obscurity in the early 1900s.
Melrose – Springfield Township & City Of Springfield
Location: 39.908006, -83.843907
on Rebert Pike at the intersection of Rhomenus St along Mill Creek
Remnants: none known
Description: Melrose had a grist mill & a saw mill next to Mill Creek & a one-room schoolhouse south of the intersection of Rebert Pike & W Possom Rd. The mills were owned by Andrew Rebert (1818 – 1886) from Pennsylvania & Elizabeth (Landis) Rebert (1827 – 1900) for about 20 years & the road was named after their family. The area is presently called Sunnyland. Andrew & Elizabeth Rebert had several children & were buried with relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery on McCreight Ave in Springfield.
New Boston (Piqua) – Bethel Township Post Office: 1818 – 1824 Location:39.907609, -83.908910 on S Tecumseh Rd at the SR 4 underpass along Mad River Remnants: New Boston Cemetery in George Rogers Clark Park Description: New Boston was founded in 1809 by Henry Bailey at the former site of Piqua (Peckuwe), a Native American Shawnee town founded in 1754. Piqua also grew to include settlers from the Wyandot, Delaware, & Mingo tribes & was the birthplace of Shawnee Chief Tecumseh (1768 – 1813). It was fortified with Revolutionary War British troops & was destroyed in 1780 by General George Rogers Clark (1752 – 1818) & his American soldiers. New Boston was the only rival Springfield had in those early days. When Springfield barely won the county seat in 1818 by 2 votes, growth in New Boston began to decline. It was officially annexed into Springfield in 1866 when the town was abandoned by an order of the court. The George Rogers Clark Heritage Association hosts an annual fair in George Rogers Clark Park near the site of the Battle of Piqua. New Boston Cemetery is in the park but there are only 3 gravestones left. Another interesting location in the vicinity is the reportedly haunted home of Daniel Hertzler (1800 – 1867) & Catharine (Hershey) Hertzler (1809 – 1872) from Pennsylvania, now a restored museum at 930 S Tecumseh Rd. They got married in 1827, moved to Clark County in the early 1830s, & owned the farm at the former site of Piqua & New Boston in the mid-1800s. Daniel was found dead in the house due to a gunshot wound. 2 suspects were arrested for the crime, but they subsequently escaped & justice was never served. The house was listed on the National Register Of Historic Places in 1978. Daniel & Catharine had 10 children & were buried with relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery on McCreight Ave in Springfield.
Owl Town – German Township
Location: 40.007014, -83.821546
on Tremont City Rd at the intersection of River Rd along the Mad River at the confluence of Champan Creek
Remnants: none known
Description: Owl town formed around a distillery with an attached grist & a saw mill built next to the west side of the Mad River in 1839 by Kniesley & Kiblinger. It was the largest distillery in the county at the time. Many homes in the area were built with the saw mill lumber & there was about a dozen houses in town. According to local lore, the town was named after owls who were the suspects involved in numerous chicken disappearances in town. As it turned out, boys working at the distillery & mill were the culprits, snatching the chickens & cooking them in the distillery furnace. The distillery & mill was purchased around 1859 by Daniel Blose (1818 – 1871), one of his sons John H. Blose (1838 – 1919), & a brother-in-law of Daniel, Jacob Seitz (1815 – 1892). The distillery closed in 1865 & the mills didn’t last much longer. Daniel & John Blose were buried with relatives about 7 miles north of town in Nettle Creek Cemetery on the west side of SR 560 in Mad River Township, Champaign County. Jacob Sietz was buried with relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery on McCreight Ave in Springfield. A couple of covered bridges crossing the Mad River were later the locations of some unfortunate events. They were constructed in 1865 – 1867, replacing 2 old open wood bridges, one for traffic heading east & the other heading west. Jesse Mead drowned there in 1888 & a car plunged into Mad River, killing one of the occupants, after the covered bridges were removed in 1904 while they were being replaced by a new iron bridge.
Oxtoby (Oxtoby Station) – Harmony Township
Post Office: 1875 – 1877
Location: 39.901688, -83.695354
on Fletcher Rd at the railroad crossing between London Plattsburg Rd & Fletcher Chapel Rd
Remnants: Fletcher Chapel & Cemetery 1/2 mile south of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of Fletcher Pike & Fletcher Chapel Rd
Description: The town was founded by Henry Oxtoby Sr. (1770 – 1838) & Elizabeth (Cook) Oxtoby (1769 – 1836) with farming & livestock raising as the main industries. Henry & Elizabeth had 4 children, immigrated to the U.S. from England in 1803, & moved from New York to Clark County in 1814. A Methodist congregation formed in the area that year & a small brick chapel was constructed around 1822. It was replaced by a larger brick structure in 1848. Oxtoby originally had an early log schoolhouse. A newer one was built on land donated by Henry Oxtoby Jr. (1801 – 1887), who expanded the family’s original 160 acre homestead to around 300 acres by 1870. He married Harriet (Newlove) Oxtoby (1799 – 1846) in 1825 & had a few children. After Harriet passed away, Henry married one of her sisters, Ann (Newlove) Oxtoby (1804 – 1874). Henry also served as the sexton of Fletcher Chapel for a few decades & donated land for a train station & the track path of the Springfield & Columbus Railroad, later bought by the Big Four (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad). The town faded into oblivion in the early 1900s. The Oxtoby family was laid to rest in Fletcher Cemetery.
Riceville – City Of Springfield (formerly in Springfield Township)
Location: 39.906260, -83.803971
on Fremont Ave at the intersection of Clay St
Remnants: none known
Description: It was platted with 95 lots on 25 acres in 1871 by Henry C. Rice (1831 – 1895). He married Sarah (Dean) Rice (1830 – 1901) in 1855 & had 3 children. The lots didn’t sell well & the town was eventually annexed into Springfield. Henry & Sarah Rice were buried with relatives in Ferncliff Cemetery on McCreight Ave in Springfield.
Royal (Royal Siding) – Madison Township
Description: It was on the Ohio Southern Railroad in the northwest portion of Madison Township in the late 1800s to early 1900s.
Spunky Puddle – Moorefield Township
Location: 40.012093, -83.791908
on SR 72 (Urbana Rd) at the intersection of Willow Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: Strangely enough, there’s no information online about Spunky Puddle & it doesn’t pop up on any of the historic maps or in the county’s history books. The town certainly had an interesting name, but everything else about it is a mystery.
Stafford – Pike Township
Location: 39.973463, -84.033816
on Stafford Rd at the intersection of Addison – New Carlisle Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: The original proprietors were Irish immigrants George Stafford Sr. (1769 – 1840) & Catharine (Fair) Stafford (1780 – 1871). They married in the U.S., moved to Virginia around 1790, & relocated to Clark County in 1811. George & Catharine had 11 children. A few of them carried on the tradition of farming in the area & expanded the family’s homestead. The town had a school on the south side of Stafford Rd southeast of the GPS coordinates that was pinpointed in the 1870 county atlas near the middle of the farm owned by George Stafford Jr. (1804 – 1880). A newer school was built on the same farm in its southeast corner & was pinpointed on the 1894 county atlas. At that time, the land was owned by Robert F. Stafford (1841 – 1925) & Jeannette (Johnston) Stafford (1852 – 1942). George & Catharine were buried with relatives & other local pioneers in Blacks Cemetery about 3 miles northwest of the GPS coordinates on the west side of SR 235 (N Dayton – Lakeview Rd). George Jr. & Robert were buried with relatives in New Carlisle Cemetery 4 miles south of town at the intersection of SR 235 & Musselman Rd.
Willis – Madison Township
Location: 39.807410, -83.669966
on Old Columbus – Cincinnati Rd (Old Rte 42 Rd) on the south side of US 44 along the Ohio To Erie Trail
Remnants: none known
Description: During the stagecoach era, William Willis operated a widely known hotel which was an important stopping point in the times before railroads. Located on a well-traveled road between Columbus & Cincinnati, a couple of its prominent guests included politicians Thomas Corwin & Henry Clay in 1830 – 1840. The hotel was a one-story log house with 3 rooms. The Ohio To Erie Trail is a paved recreational path stretching across the state from the southwest corner of the state to the northeast, running along the former Columbus & Xenia Railroad bed through Willis.
Windsor – Harmony Township
Location: 39.941499, -83.662274
on Old Columbus Rd at the intersection of Vernon – Asbury Rd (Co Hwy 358)
Remnants: none known
Description: Windsor was platted with 105 lots in 1816 by Revolutionary War veteran Simeon Bardwell (1747 – 1837) from Massachusetts. Caleb Barrett opened a store in Windsor before 1825, but he later moved to Vienna when the National Road (US 40) was built through there. There was a blacksmith shop on the farm of William D. Baird (1803 – 1886) on the south side of Old Columbus Rd west of the GPS coordinates. A school (Harmony Township No. 6) was on the north side of Old Columbus Rd on land owned by John Jones (1814 – 1901) & Mary (Botkin) Jones (1815 – 1893) who owned the farm on the east side of the GPS coordinates. Simeon Bardwell was buried 3 miles southeast of the GPS coordinates in South Vienna Cemetery on the north side of US 40. The Baird & Jones families were laid to rest in Asbury Chapel Cemetery 2 miles north of town at the intersection of Venron – Asbury Rd & Jones Rd. It was stated in the 1908 county history book that an Englishman once stopped by & asked John Jones where Windsor was, to which John replied, “Look around & you will find it”.
Clifton, OH – (1833 – present farming & mill town with little growth)
Location: Miami Township, Greene County & Green Township, Clark County – At the intersection of SR 343 & SR 72 (Springfield Jamestown Rd.)
Classification: historic town
Disgruntled that the Greene County seat was given to Xenia instead of Alpha, founded by the same family, Clifton was later founded by Owen Davis (1751 – 1818) & Laticia (Phillips) Davis (1750 – 1824) & their daughter & son-in-law Catherine (Davis) Whiteman (1775 – 1852) & General Benjamin Whiteman (1769 – 1852). Benjamin became a general in 1805 & served in the War of 1812.
In Clifton, Owen Davis built a mill & Benjamin Whiteman built a tavern, trading post, & a distillery in the first decade of the 1800s. The town quickly drew more settlers & was platted with 32 lots in 1833 by Timothy Bates & Bennet Lewis (1802 – 1876). They also donated land for the first church in Clifton & enlisted the services of a local carpenter, Abdael Kiler (1810 – 1891), to construct houses. He built 14 houses in summer of 1833 which were all bought that year. The town itself was said to be platted “square with the world”. We’re not exactly sure what that means, but if you take a closer look at it on the map, it’s easier to see why they said that. The name Clifton came from the rugged cliffs surrounding the Little Miami River in that area, sometimes reaching around 80 feet high. In its early days, Clifton had a blacksmith, saw mill, flour mill, a doctor, and a general store.
The town missed the railroad boom in the 1840s when the closest one was run through Yellow Springs 3 miles to the west, which was the first reason the population didn’t grow larger. The second reason came in 1849 when Clifton suffered from the worst Cholera epidemic of any town in Ohio based on its size. Half of the residents perished from it. Clifton bounced back some though & by 1918 the community had a town hall, jail, school, two stores, three churches, and an opera house that was fit to seat up to 500 people, good enough for a town twice its size. Clifton’s population was 152 in the 2010 census, far less than what its peak once was.
The town still has lots of old historical buildings including Benjamin & Catherine Whiteman’s original stone house & a restored mill on the same site as the one Owen Davis built. The current mill was originally built by Isaac Preston (1868 – 1950). The Davis family, Whiteman family, Abdael Kiler, & Isaac Preston are all buried in Clifton Union Cemetery on Tanyard Rd with relatives & many other early settlers.