Cabello – Augusta Township
Post Office: 1851 – 1868
Description: William Rutledge (1829 – 1902) was the postmaster. He married Harriet (Deford) Rutledge in 1860 & had at least 3 children. They owned a 132 acre farm on the north side of Aurora Rd NE between the town of Augusta & Reef Rd NE which was listed in the 1874 county atlas. We didn’t pinpoint the GPS coordinates for Cabello there though because it seems unlikely another post office would have been that close to Augusta, which also had one during the time period in question. We also couldn’t confirm William lived on that farm in the 1850s & 1860s. William & Harriet were buried with relatives in Augusta Christian Church Cemetery on Andora Rd NE.
Post Office: 1855 – 1861
Description: It was named after a branch of the Davis family in the county. Someone by the name of R. May was the only know postmaster.
Post Office: 1856 – 1857
Description: The proprietors were Andrew D. Figley (1825 – 1897) from Washington County, Pennsylvania & Eliza (Westfall) Figley (1829 – 1878) from Columbiana County, with Andrew being the town’s postmaster. They got married in Carroll County in 1848, had several children, & owned at least one mill. Andrew & Eliza later moved out of the state & were laid to rest in Fairview Cemetery at the intersection of 64th Rd & Q Rd in Nemaha County, Kansas.
Fullers – Orange Township
Location: 40.472390, -81.217872
on SR 212 at the railroad crossing between Deer Rd & Crowder Rd
Remnants: none known
Description: The town was about halfway between Sherrodsville & Leesville on the Cleveland, Canton, & Southern Railway & was listed on the Ohio map in the 1901 George Cram atlas. Coal mines operated by the Fuller Coal Company were its main industry.
Gortin (Gorton) – East Township
Post Office: 1832 – 1842
Description: The proprietors were David Robinson (1764 – 1850) & Catharine Robinson (1774 – 1840) with David being the town’s postmaster. They were buried with relatives in Glade Run (Lower Glade Run) Cemetery in the northeast corner of the intersection of Aurora Rd NE & Bane Rd NE.
Hickory – Perry Township
Post Office: 1836 – 1857
Description: The proprietors were Jabob Gladden (born c. 1794) & Charity Gladden (born c. 1790). They moved to Ohio from Maryland & had at least one child.
North Union – Union Township
Post Office: 1827 – 1839
Description: As with most of the county’s ghost towns, there’s no record of North Union ever getting platted or incorporated, but it had the post office & a school. Augustus Rigby was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by William Crow. Judge John H. Tripp (1820 – 1909) was school teacher from 1841 – 1842. He was buried with relatives in Grandview Cemetery on 2nd St SE in Carrollton.
Rose – Rose Township
Post Office: 1840 – 1864
Description: William King was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by Eleazar Herron.
Shobers Mills – Loudon Township
Post Office: 1828 – 1859
Location: 40.444421, -80.949043
on Cavalry Rd at the intersection of Queens Rd along Elk Lick
Remnants: none known
Description: It was founded by John Shober (1786 – 1858) who moved to Ohio from Virginia & was the town’s first postmaster. He had 3 children with his first wife Lydia (Smith) Shober (1790 – 1829). They got married in Maryland in 1808. Lydia never made the trip to Ohio & passed away in Virginia. John remarried the following year to Elizabeth Shober (1792 – 1860) & had a couple more children. His oldest son, John H. Shober (1919 – 1893), was the town’s last postmaster. He later moved out of the state & was buried with in Highland (Eddyville) Cemetery the east side of SR 146 (N Main St) in New Sharon in Mahaska County, Iowa. John & Elizabeth were laid to rest with relatives in Mizer (Coleman / Smith / Watsons Ridge) Cemetery on the east side of Apex – Amsterdam Rd in Springfield Township, Jefferson County.
Whitacres – Augusta Township
Location: 40.702811, -81.078629
on Arbor Rd at the intersection of Malibu Rd along Muddy Fork
Remnants: Mount Zion United Methodist Church & Cemetery about 1 & 3/4 miles southeast of the GPS coordinates at the intersection of Aurora Rd NE & Bellflower Rd
Description: The town was founded in the early 1850s by Edward Whitacre (1809 – 1897) & Rachel (Taylor) Whitacre (1810 – 1854). It had a train station on the Lake Erie, Alliance, & Wheeling Railroad. There was also a school in the northwest corner of the intersection of Malibu Rd NE & Brush Rd NE on land donated by James Morledge (1810 – 1878) & Elizabeth (Jackson) Morledge (1807 – 1895). They were both born in England, got married in 1832, & were laid to rest in Mount Zion Cemetery. The local Methodist congregation formed in 1827. Their original log church was replaced by the present brick structure around 1840. Edward never remarried after Rachel passed away & raised 8 of their 11 children by himself. They were buried with relatives in Plaines Cemetery at the intersection of Walker Rd & Ellsworth Ave in Minerva.
Woodbury – Lee Township
Description: Woodbury was listed as a small town in the Ohio Gazetteer And Traveler’s Guides from 1837 – 1841.
Atwood, OH (Oak Dale) – (early 1800s – 1936 farming & railroad town abandoned during the construction of Atwood Lake)
Classification: ghost town
Location: Monroe Township, Carroll County – On SR 542 (Lodge Rd) at the intersection of Fargo Rd
The town was originally called Oak Dale as early as the 1820s, but the name later changed to Atwood. It was never platted or incorporated. During its heyday there was a store, two churches, a blacksmith shop, school, & a town hall. The post office ran from 1888 – 1915 & Atwood had a train station on the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad (Cleveland, Canton, & Southern Railroad). The town was abandoned shortly before the completion of a dam in 1936 that was built for flood control purposes. It also created the reservoir of Atwood Lake.
There is a village dedication plaque at the corner of SR 542 & Fargo Rd. Residents of Atwood were buried at Big Spring (Deep Springs) Cemetery on SR 542 on the north side of the lake & Zion Cemetery on Falls Rd south of SR 542. They are two very old cemeteries & unfortunately both churches are gone. The location of the Big Spring Church is now underwater next to the cemetery on the edge of the lake & Zion Church was lost in a grass fire in 1930.
Carroll County Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources
1874 – Carroll County Atlas
1915 – Carroll County Atlas
1891 – Commemorative Biographical Record Of Harrison And Carroll Counties Ohio
1921 – History Of Carroll And Harrison Counties Ohio – Vol. 2