We research and explore the coolest ghost towns and historic locations in Ohio!
Alexander (Southtown) – Alexander Township Post Office: 1825 – 1850 Location: unknown, was 6 miles south of Athens Description: This first settlement in the township had the nickname “Southtown” as it was the next populated area south of Athens. Unfortunately the early township records were lost in a fire around 1827.
Big Hocking (Hockingport) – Troy Township Post Office: 1836 – 1837 Location:39.188080, -81.752083 on SR 124 at the junction of the Hocking River and Ohio River Description: Big Hocking is listed as a ghost town in several places online but it’s only due to a name change. Hockingport was called Big Hocking from 1836 – 1839.
Bolins Mills (Bolens Mills) – Knox Township, Vinton County
Post Office: 1878 – 1910 Location: 39.232000, -82.291297 on US 50 at the intersection of Staneart Hollow Rd along Raccoon Creek Remnants: Weaver Chapel & Cemetery on the east side of Weaver Church Rd Description: It was originally in Athens county & was founded by William Bolen (1788 – 1849) and Susan Bolen (d. 1854). William built a grist mill & saw mill next to Raccoon Creek & was a farmer. The town had a general store in the northwest corner of the intersection of US 50 & Staneart Hollow Rd & a school in the northeast corner of the intersection of US 50 & SR 356. William & Susan were buried with relatives in Weaver Chapel (Bolins Mills) Cemetery. The family surname is spelled Bolin in some branches.
Brettland (Bretland) (Lick Run) – York Township Post Office: 1875 – 1882 Location:39.452791, -82.277778 on SR 278 on the south side of the Hocking River and ran south along the Hocking County border Remnants: none known Description: This coal mining town had a school, company store, and a train station for the Lick Run Coal Works on the Lick Run Switch of the Columbus & Hocking Valley Railroad. Old road paths from the town can be seen on satellite maps.
Deans Location: unknown Description: The town was named after the Dean family in the area.
Detroit – Canaan Township Location:39.311616, -81.978089 on Canaanville Rd off US 50 between Buckley Run Rd and Mine Rd Remnants: no known Description: Detroit was sort of a suburb of Canaanville and had a train station on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad built in 1875.
Englishtown – York Township Post Office: 1821 – 1823 Location:39.456951, -82.225953 on Poplar St in the east side of Nelsonville Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded by George Courtauld (1767 – 1823) who was a wealthy silk and textile manufacturer from England. The land was purchased in 1818 and George persuaded some of his friends to move there. He operated a store and post office until his untimely death. Most of the residents moved back to England and the post office moved to Nelsonville.
Goose Run – Trimble Township Location: 39.493958, -82.151535 on Goose Run Rd east off SR 78 Remnants: Bethel Ridge Cemetery off Goose Run Rd Description: Many of the residents worked in the mining industry and were buried in Bethel Ridge Cemetery.
Harmony – Canaan Township Location:39.326592, -82.005669 on Harmony Rd west of S Canaan Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town was founded in 1836 by business tycoon Samuel B. Pruden (1798 – 1863) who built an oil mill, grist and saw mill, and a salt works.
Hixon – Ames Township Post Office: 1880 – 1901 Location:39.416392, -82.052173 between Lafollette Rd and Bryson Branch Remnants: old houses and farm buildings in the area Description: Town proprietor Peter Hixon (1821 – 1902) moved to Ames Township from Pennsylvania at an early age. He was one of the biggest land owners in Athens County with over 800 acres and had much success in raising large numbers of livestock on the fine grazing land. The family surname was sometimes spelled Hixson. Peter was buried with relatives in Hooper Ridge Cemetery on Hooper Ridge Rd.
Hocking – Waterloo Township Post Office: 1870 – 1877 Location: 39.367708, -82.265328 on Hocking St off SR 56 between Mineral and Carbondale Remnants: none known Description: Hocking lost its status as a town but looks like it was never completely abandoned. It had a train station on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad.
Horton Post Office: 1861 – 1863 Location: unknown Description: It was named after the Horton family in the area.
Ingham (Ingham Station) – Waterloo Township, Athens County and Brown Township, Vinton County Post Office: 1903 – 1904 Location:39.311475, -82.300541 on the former railroad path between Rockcamp Rd and Hope – Moonville Rd Remnants: electric poles lining the former railroad path, mine shaft entrances, and mining tools on hiking trails off the former railroad path Description: The town was between Moonville and Kings Station on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad (later bought by the B&O). It’s about a 1 1/3 miles hike on the former railroad path from both Moonville Tunnel and Kings Hollow Tunnel with comparable difficulty in making the creek crossings where the train trestles have since been removed. Ingham was founded in 1856 by brothers W. J. and J. M. Ingham. It had a school, general store, train station, coal tipple, and several residences scattered about the area along with a few buildings and structures for the mining industry. The mail went through Kings Station post office from 1865 until it was discontinued in 1894. Ingham had its own office from 1903 – 1904 with William M. Jaynes serving as the postmaster. The town was abandoned around 1914 shortly after the mines closed. Trains continued to roll through the area until the railroad line, owned by CSX at the time, was officially abandoned in 1987 and the tracks were disassembled the following year. There are some foundations, mine shaft entrances, and other remnants along the hiking trails off of the railroad path.
Laurel Hill – York Township Location: 39.455024 -82.269586 between SR 278 and the Hocking River Remnants: mine shafts in the section of land between SR 278 and Wolfe – Bennett Rd Description: Laurel Hill was a coal works town on the east side of Brettland with its own mining industry. It had a company store and a train station on the Columbus & Hocking Valley Railroad. Old road paths can be seen on satellite maps.
Linscott – Ames Township, Athens County and Homer Township, Morgan County
Post Office: 1878 – 1903
Location: 39.460913, -82.043498
on Hooper Ridge Rd (Co Rd 86) at the intersection of Boudinot Ln
Remnants: Concord Church and Cemetery a mile south of the GPS Coordinates on Kasler Creek
Description: This small farming and postal town was founded by the Linscott family from Maine which owned land in both Ames and Homer Township. Albert W. Wolfe (1848 – 1926) was the postmaster. He moved to Franklin County and was buried with relatives in Green Lawn Cemetery on Greenlawn Ave in Columbus. The present Concord Church brick structure was completed in 1895. Some members of the Linscott family were buried in Concord and Hooper Ridge Cemeteries in Ames Township.
Lyda (Lydia) – Troy Township Post Office: 1889 – 1904 Location:39.181137, -81.779916 on Lydia Rd along the border of Meigs County Remnants: old houses and farm buildings in the area Description: Lyda was a tiny town. Residences and businesses stretched north up Township Highway 420 and Lyndon Rd. It’s listed as Lyda on the Ohio map in the 1901 George Cram atlas and a few other places online, but might have really been spelled Lydia like the road name.
Marshallville – Trimble Township Location: 39.554563, -82.141226 on Johnson Run Rd (County Rd 68) at the intersection of Indian Run Rd Remnants: none known Description: The town proprietor was an E. Marshall who owned a section of land southeast of the GPS coordinates. Many of the residents were buried in Walnut Grove (Maxwell) Cemetery and Beech Grove (Conn Church) Cemetery on Township Highway 435 in Monroe Township, Perry County. Both of the cemeteries are listed on findagrave.com with more location info.
Medill – Lee Township Post Office: 1858 – 1865 Location: unknown Description: none found
Mortonville – Trimble Township Location: unknown, was west of Glouster Description: none found
Mud Sock (Mudsock) – Ames Township Post Office: 1821 – 1837 Location:39.396667, -81.963194 on SR 550 1/2 of a mile west of Amesville Remnants: Mud Sock (Amesville) Cemetery at the GPS Coordinates Description: It was founded by Colonel Silas Dean (1767- 1810), settled by members of the Ohio Land Company, and served as a stagecoach stop. Silas’s nephew Colonel Nathan Dean Jr. (1788 – 1837) acquired some of the land after Silas died. Nathan was a brickmaker, freemason, businessman, and ran the general store and post office. Mudsock was abandoned shortly before Amesville sprang up.
Mount Auburn – Trimble and Dover Township Location: 39.465107, -82.113985 on SR 685 at the intersection of Greens Run Rd Remnants: none known Description: Mount Auburn was founded by Reverend Jonathan Perkins Weethee (1812 – 1899). He wrote a book in 1849 and built Weethee College in 1861, just a couple of his many accomplishments. Jonathan was buried in Nye Cemetery on SR 13 in Chauncey.
New Bern – Bern Township Location: 39.368458, -81.909943 on Felton Rd at the intersection with Brawley Rd Remnants: Wilson Chapel and Sand Rock Cemetery north of the GPS coordinates Description: New Bern was a farming town. Residents were buried in Sand Rock Cemetery.
Raccoon Location: unknown Description: none found
Rock Oak Post Office: 1856 – 1871 Location: unknown Description: none found
Salina – Dover Township Post Office: 1866 – 1894 Location:39.381976, -82.144201 between LeMaster Rd and US 33 Remnants: none known Description: Salina was a decent sized town that had a little bit of everything. Some residents were employed the salt works of M. M. Greene & Co. There was also a surface coal mine, shaft coal mine, grist mill, and a saw mill.
Sparta Location: unknown Description: Sparta was listed as a small village in the 1837 The Ohio Gazetteer and Traveler’s Guide.
Broadwell, OH – (mid-1800s – present farming and coal mining town abandoned over time)
Classification: semi-ghost town
Location: Bern Township, Athens County – On SR 329 near the intersection of Sand Rock Rd
It was settled by Henry Broadwell (1809 – 1881) and Anne Eliza (Wainright) Broadwell (1813 – 1890) in the mid-1800s as a farming community. Their daughter Ann Eliza Broadwell (1846 – 1931) turned into a prominent business entrepreneur and donated land for a train station on the Federal Creek Railroad. Broadwell’s main source of income was from local coal mines operated by The Federal Coal Co.
Ann married Elijah Homer Bean (1843 – 1923) in 1866 and they later moved out west becoming one of the earliest known families to settle in South Dakota. Broadwell had a post office from 1893 – 1919. It lost a lot of residents after the coal mines shut down and has a neighborhood of abandoned buildings where the center of town was.
Carbondale, OH (1867 – present mining and railroad town mostly abandoned over time)
Classification: small town
Location: Waterloo Township, Athens County – On Carbondale Rd at the intersection of 10 Spot Rd
Carbondale was formed in 1867 as the McClintock and Smith Coal Works were built along with a train station on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad. It was named after the abundance of coal in the area. Carbondale once had a bunch of businesses around town including a hotel, two general stores, a high school, gas station, oil wells, and a phone company. It also had a community baseball team that competed against teams from other towns in Ohio. Carbondale had a peak population of 1800 during WWI but is now down to around 100.
Most of the old buildings are gone now, but some still remain abandoned and others are down to foundations among tree lined streets and mining roads. There are also several mine shaft entrances around the outskirts of town. In 1991 Peter Jennings did a week long series for ABC’s World News Tonight from a front porch in Carbondale. The report was about poverty in America and the lack of economic opportunities in certain regions, a problem which created many of the ghost towns that we have researched.
Floodwood Station, OH (Old Floodwood) – (early 1800s – early 1900s farming, mill, and coal town, abandoned when coal production stopped)
Classification: ghost town
Location: York Township, Athens County – On Monk Rd on the east side of the Hocking River and along the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Floodwood Station started out as a farming and mill community in the early 1800s. One of the earliest settlers, the Mourn family, built a saw mill and a general store in the 1820s. The population boomed when coal was discovered in the area in the mid- 1800s. Floodwood Station had about 50 houses, and when 2 large iron furnaces were built in the area New Floodwood sprang up on the east side of the Hocking River. It had over 600 houses in 1883. Burton B. Sheffield, who moved to Floodwood Station in 1836 from Rhode Island with his parents, ran the Floodwood Coal Co. and had several mines on 700 acres of land next to the banks of Floodwood Creek.
Floodwood Station was abandoned after the furnaces closed and coal production stopped. New Floodwood is still in existence today on US 33, but it’s not nearly as large as it once was. Floodwood Station was totally abandoned in the early 1900s. Part of its broken dam can be seen when the river is low. Some loose bricks and house and building foundations can also be found along the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway from Floodwood Station and other nearby old towns like Glen Ebon and Salina.
Kings Station, OH (King Hollow) – (1856 – 1910s coal mining and railroad town abandoned when mines shut down)
Classification: ghost town
Location : Waterloo Township, Athens County – At the intersection of Rockcamp Rd and King Hollow Trail
Kings Station was another coal mining town with a train station on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad (later bought by the B&O). It was northeast of Moonville and Ingham (Ingham Station), which were on the same railroad line, and had the same fate in becoming a ghost town. The hollow was named after the King family in the area. Although the previous generation of the family started the coal enterprise, Silas D. King (1840 – 1909) was the head proprietor for most of its existence. He married Sarah (Lyons) King (1851 – 1933) and had at least 2 children.
The town was on the southwest side of its wood railroad tunnel which was built in 1855 – 1856 and is a rare sight to see in Ohio. It had a general store, row of wooden houses, a school, coal tipple, blacksmith shop, and a post office from 1865 – 1894. Irwin R. King was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by Samuel H. King (1838 – 1914) who was buried with relatives 5 miles east of the GPS coordinates in New Marshfield Cemetery on Co Rd 6. Elmer G. Biddison (1863 – 1938) was the last postmaster and was buried in Athens (West Union Street Cemetery) in Athens.Silas and Sarah were laid to rest in Elk (McArthur) Cemetery on SR 93 (N Market St) in McArthur.
Thanks to group member Tammy Altman for providing the info on Silas D. King!
Mt. Nebo, OH – (1852 – 1858 spiritualist and farming town abandoned for unknown reasons)
Classification: ghost town
Location: Dover Township, Athens County – On the top of the hill at the intersection of Mill Creek Rd and Sand Ridge Rd
It was settled by Jonathon and Abigail Koons in the early 1850s. Jonathon was an atheist and skeptic who supposedly turned into a spiritualist after attending a few local seances. He began claiming to have psychic abilities, as well as Abigail and their oldest son Naham. They built a one room log cabin behind their house that they called the spirit room and held their own seances. It was later considered to be one of the most actively paranormal sites in the world and also attracted visitors from all around the world.
The Koons family abruptly left in 1858 without an explanation, possibly due to ridicule from local residents who didn’t believe the family had any special powers so to speak. There are no known remnants of the Koons residence and the land currently appears to be on private property.
Orbiston, OH – (1877 – mid-1950s iron furnace and coal town abandoned over time)
Classification: ghost town
Location: Trimble Township, Athens County and Ward Township, Hocking County – On SR 78 near the intersection of York Rd
Orbiston grew quickly in its early days after Ogden Furnace was constructed in 1877 by the Ogden Iron Company. Most of the local residents mined coal and iron for furnace production and some had jobs on the Hocking Valley Railway that ran through town. The furnace was sold a few times over the years and was eventually owned by the Hocking Iron Co. who changed the name from Ogden to Helen Furnace.
Orbiston had a population of about 500 in 1883, a post office that ran from 1877 – 1924, and a school that existed until sometime around 1930. It’s unknown if there’s anything left of the furnace, but we suspect that at least the foundation is probably still visible, along with some foundations from other buildings, and maybe a few mine shaft entrances. Some of the residents were buried in Bethel Ridge Cemetery (Athens County). From Orbiston, just north of where the town was, make a right turn onto Goose Run Rd and take the first right onto a small gravel road.
Truetown, OH – (1800 – present pioneer town currently considered to be in Millfield)
Location: Dover Township, Athens County – On County Rd 93 at the intersection of Truetown Rd
Classification: small town
The town was named after Josiah True (1776 – 1855) and Almira (Tuttle) True (1788 – 1853), the first settlers in the area. Josiah was a fur trader, orchard planter, a veteran of the War of 1812, and the first justice of the peace in Dover Township from 1815 – 1851. The Trues were highly respected members of the community.
There are still residents in Truetown, but the closest post office is in Millfield. Josiah and Almira were buried in True Cemetery. Kidwell Covered Bridge and the cemetery are the only old remnants left from the town. The bridge was built in 1880 on Monserat Rd spanning Sunday Creek. It has been restored and is open to traffic.
Athens County, Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources