Blackfork, OH - (1818 - present farming, clay mining, & brickyard town nearly abandoned & later repopulated)
Classification: small town
Location: Washington Township, Lawrence County - Near the intersection of Blackfork Firebrick Rd. & Irish Hollow Rd.
Blackfork was settled next to Black Fork Creek by a mix of runaway slaves from the south, native americans, & European immigrants. They were all paid the same wages by the local businesses during a time when racial prejudices were still running rampant in most of the rest of the country. The Union Baptist Church was organized in 1819. It was originally a log cabin structure but was replaced in the late 1800's.
Blackfork's first biggest sources of income were the Blackfork Coal Co. & it's iron furnaces. The Washington Furnace was built in the early 1850's. It was in operation from 1853 until the late 1800's & what's left of it can be found in the woods off a gravel road on the south side of the intersection of Blackfork - Firebrick Rd. & Irish Hollow Rd. The land where the coal mines were got sold to the Cambria Clay Products Company who dealt in clay mining & had a brick making plant. The brickyard also had a rail yard on the Toledo, Cincinnati, & St. Louis Railroad.
Portions of the old railroad platforms are still visible there & the railroad's tunnel # 2, built in 1882, is about 4 miles south of town under an overpass on Dry Ridge Rd. It was constructed by the residents of Blackfork. The railroad was later bought out by the Cincinnati, Hamilton, & Dayton RR, & then sold to the B & O who reconstructed the tunnel in 1916 but that line of tracks was abandoned the following year. It was replaced by the Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton Railroad which was in operation from 1905 - 1983. Henry Ford bought it in 1920 & had new tracks built that ran through town for hauling pig iron to Detroit.
When the brick company went out of business in the early 1960's many of the residents left to find work in other cities & the trains that went through town ceased operations in the mid to late 70's. The foundation of Blackfork's general store is still visible & marked by a set of steps close next to Blackfork - Firebrick Rd. Some of the town's residents were buried in Union Baptist Church Cemetery next to the church on Coker Rd. (Ninner Hill). Blackfork had a post office from 1902 - 1985. Others were buried in the Washington Furnace Cemetery south of the furnace on the same gravel road.
Special thanks to Donna Dickerson for providing info on the more modern railroad in Blackfork! We previously only had info on the town's early tracks. Her dad knew most of the DT&I engineers & firemen & occasionally took her with him to check it out. The trains also did pick-ups from the plant at Pedro and would ride up to the clay mill to drop entity cars and take the full cars away.
Olive Furnace, OH (Mount Olive) - (1846 - 1915 iron furnace & farming town abandoned after the furnace operation stopped)
Classification: semi - ghost town
Location: Washington Township, Lawrence County - On Rt. 93 1/2 mile north of Kimble Creek Rd.
Olive Furnace was built near Olive Creek in 1846 & financed by John Peters, John Campbell (the founder of Ironton, OH), Madison Cole, William Clements, & J.L. Thompson. The furnace provided iron for steel manufacturing during the Cival War & for steel manufacturers in Northern Ohio & other places around the country.
The furnace, coal mines, & the surrounding town (sometimes called Mount Olive) were on 3,600 acres of land that were purchased by the furnace owners. Most of the early roads in the township were built & maintained by the furnace company. Besides the buildings at the furnace, the town also had a blacksmith shop, carpenter shop, company store, church, & a school, as well as a few dozen houses for the workers. The closest railroad station was about 1/2 mile southwest of town on the Cincinnati, Hamilton, & Dayton Railway. The furnace began operation in 1847 & produced an average of nearly 4,000 tons of iron every year until production stopped in 1910. Farming was also a local source of income.
In 1915 the furnace was sold for scrap iron & a lot of it was destroyed. The Olive Furnace post office ran from 1857 - 1915. Now the land is owned by the Mt. Olive Furnace Park Corporation which is accepting donations with plans to reconstruct the furnace. The Mount Olive Community Baptist Church still stands across the road from the remains of the furnace & the Olive Furnace Cemetery is up a hill behind the furnace.
Lawrence County Ohio Ghost Town Research Resources