Fowlers Mills, OH - (1834 - present farming & mill town with less residents than in the past)
Classification: historic town
Location: Munson Township, Geauga County - On Fowlers Mill Rd near the intersection of Mayfield Rd (SR 322)
Fowlers Mills was named after two brothers, Hiram Fowler (1800 - 1879) & Milo Fowler (1803 - 1880), who built a grist mill next to the Chagrin River in 1834. There were many other mills in the area in the 1830s including a saw mill & a wool mill that the Fowler's traded their grist mill for. The town had a post office from 1834 - 1893, a hotel, township hall, & several stores, schools, & churches over the years. The Fowler's grist mill changed ownership a bunch of times & stopped production in 1966.
Billie & Rick Erickson bought & restored the mill in 1989, making it the last surviving mill in Geauga County. It's open Wednesday - Sunday with tours on Saturday & Sunday. The mill can produce 700 pound of flour per hour which is sold to local markets & nationally by mail-order. Ohio Historical Marker #7 - 28 tells the story of the Fowlers Mills Historical District. The Fowler's house, which was built in 1840, still stands next to the mill. A couple other points of interest are The Disciple Church built in 1842 & the last school in town that was built in 1913. Fowlers Mills Cemetery sits on the north side of town on Fowlers Mill Rd. Hiram & Milo Fowler were buried in Fowler Cemetery on Haskins Rd about 16 miles south of Fowlers Mills in Bainbridge Township, Geauga County.