Egypt Valley, OH (Egypt) - (mid 1800's - late 1800's farming & railroad town abandoned when the land was bought for coal mining)
Classification: ghost town
Location: Kirkwood Township, Belmont County - On Salem Ridge Rd. & Starkey Rd.
It had a few residents as early as the first decade of the 1800's but didn't become a town until the mid 1800's. It had a school, general store, a train station on the B & O Railroad, & post office from 1852 - 1857. The most popular locations these days are the two cemeteries, Salem & Old Egypt (Circle Cemetery) on Salem Ridge Rd. but there's also several decaying barns & houses in the area, a wood bridge, & remnants along the old railroad path.
Egypt Valley is well known for it's ghost stories. Louiza Catharine Fox (1856 - 1869) was engaged to be married with the much older Thomas D. Carr (1846 - 1870) who was a Cival War veteran. They had met through Alex Hunter, the owner of a local coal company who they both worked for. Thomas worked in the coal mines & Louiza was a servant in Alex Hunter's house. The engagement was approved by her parents but they changed their minds when they heard rumors about Thomas's violent side. The marriage was called off & the rumors about Thomas were true. He waited in the dark one night next to a road that Louiza used to walk home. She was with her little brother at the time who Thomas told to go home so he could talk to Louiza. Instead of talking, Thomas kissed Louiza one last time & then slit her throat with a razor blade. Her little brother saw it happen from a distance & ran home to tell their parents. Thomas got arrested & was the first person hanged in Belmont County in 1870. Louiza is said to still haunt Salem Cemetery & can reportedly be seen or heard crying by her grave.
About a mile down the road from Salem Cemetery is the Old Egypt Cemetery which is said to be haunted by the ghost of a truck driver who died in a crash around there. He lost an arm which was never found & the sounds of fingernails tapping on gravestones can supposedly be heard in the cemetery at night. The Old Egypt Cemetery is also reportedly haunted by devil dogs that guard it & can be heard howling in the woods nearby at night.
Jacobsburg, OH (Calvertsburg) - (1804 - present mining & railroad town slowly abandoned when production & railways stopped in the 1980's)
Classification: small town
Location: Smith Township, Belmont County - On Ramsey Ridge Rd. near the intersection of Wallace - Bovenizer Rd.
It was first settled by Jabob Calvert (1780 - 1853) & his wife Mary "Polly" (Shepherd) Calvert (1780 - 1860) in the 1790's & was originally called Calvertsburg. The name changed sometime by 1804 when their second of nine children was born. Jacob platted the town in 1815. Jacobsburg had a hotel, school, church, general store, & a doctor in it's early days. It went from being a small farming community to a mining & railroad town when coal was discovered in the area. The train station was on the Bellaire, Zanesville, & Cincinnati Railroad.
There's still some residents in Jacobsburg but it continues to lose population over time. Jacob Calvert was buried in Scatterday Cemetery with a few other Calvert's on Coulter Rd. off of Rt. 147 (Centerville Jacobsburg Rd.). Jacobsburg Cemetery is on Ramsey Ridge Rd. on the south side of town. There's several old settlers & families buried there.
Sewellsville, OH (Union) - ( early 1800's - mid 1900's farming, business, & coal town abandoned over time)
Classification: semi - ghost town
Location: Kirkwood Township, Belmont County - On Rt. 800 (Hendrysburg - Freeport Rd.) at the intersection of McCoy Rd.
Sewellsville sits on a stretch of road that's mostly old abandoned buildings. It was once a relatively thriving town that was originally called Union & named after the first log cabin meeting hall. It was changed to Sewellsville in 1831, named after Peter Sewell. He was a carpenter, builder, & also became the first postmaster. Sewellsville had a post office from 1834 - 1907. The town also had a church, school, & several small businesses over the years. The population was around 125 in 1900.
Later in the mid 1900's the local surface coal mining industry may have led to Sewellsville's demise. It gave people jobs at the time but bought up a lot of the town's land & when coal production stopped most of the remaining residents probably had to leave & find work elsewhere. There's several abandoned buildings & houses around town, mostly along Rt. 800. An old church & cemetery sits next to Rt. 800 north of McCoy Rd.
Temperanceville, OH - (1837 - present saw mill town partially abandoned for unknown reasons)
Classification: small town
Location: Somerset Township, Belmont County - On Rt. 379 where it meets County Rd. 132 (Zanesville St. / Temperanceville Rd.)
It was founded in 1837 by Robert Gallagher (1806 - 1850) & Elizabeth Brinton (Jefferies) Gallagher (1814 - 1874). Robert was a Catholic missionary & big alcohol prohibitionist so he named the town Temperanceville after dry town clauses placed on land ownership. He built a grist mill in 1837 which burned down in 1840, so Robert replaced it with a steam powered mill. The town had a school, two cigar factories, oil fields, several churches over the decades, & a post office from 1848-1961.
Temperanceville was almost totally abandoned but now has newer residences in the area. There's still some very old buildings in town including St. Mary's Church, whose records date back to 1833. Some of the Gallagher's ancestors were buried in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Belmont County Ohio Ghost Towns Research Resources